Friday, June 20, 2008

Kung Pao Kitty

Bottom line: Amazing happy hour, but not too amazing late night.

Yes, I recognize that I put "bottom line" at the top, but that gives you, readers the option to get the gist immediately, before committing to read this whole blog. I promise it will be entertaining and worth reading through, though.

Happy hour at Kung Pao Kitty (located on the North-East corner of Hollywood and Wilcox) is delicious, delightful and deli-cheap. $3. Everything. $3 shrimp pot stickers, which are my absolute favorite, even though they take the longest to come out; $3 calamari, served with a sweet and spicy chili sauce; $3 dumplings and spring rolls, dare I go on?


Of course, I will go on - I haven't touched on the best part! $3 jager shots, $3 bottles of sake, and $3 Tiger beer (for those of you unfamiliar with Los Angeles, a three dollar beer is actually a hard find). Exciting note: drink prices are always this good, not only for happy hour (which is 4-7, Monday through Friday).

I have spent many an hour being happy there, but last night was my first time heading there after dark. (insert spooky music here). At our first attempt at the door, the bouncer rejected us! To his credit, he was just following the rules. My friend and I were wearing sandals, and they did not allow flip flops for insurance reasons (broken glass, etc). However, we were wearing nice sandals, ones with a little bit of a rise. We told him this; he didn't buy it. We told him that we would sign a waiver, so we wouldn't sue them if our feet were cut by broken glass; he didn't buy it.

Fortunately, I live a block away. So, we scurried back to my apartment, donned some covered shoes and were back to the Kitty.

Inside, late night, I found a fairly sparse bar hosting a mix of hipsters and locals - not crazy locals, but easy-to-talk-to locals. Music was playing, but not obnoxiously loud. It was on the darker side, but not too dark. Over all, a decent time....especially with those $3 bottles of sake.

The shoe thing was fairly aggravating, especially since Hollywood Blvd. boasts the city's slipperiest sidewalk (not a known fact, but a strong personal opinion). Heels + Hollywood Blvd = bruised knee.

Top Line: I will go back (with proper footwear), and I do recommend it...but I will always be a little bitter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kung Pao Kitty -
We, East Coasters, after reading this intriguing Blog, long for potstickers, $3 Sake, and the fun, party life of Hollyood frolic.
But we would like to keep our sandals on!

Unknown said...

I have to second what he said!!