Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sometimes you just want a good cup o' joe....or cup o' Audry?

In this never-never-land, where Dunkin' Donuts are as sparse as as snow, and Starbucks litter every corner (there are three within a ten minute walk of my place), where does one turn for the caffeine fix?

I do enjoy my occasional ridiculously expensive, dessert - er, I mean coffee - from Starbucks, but I generally go for a cup of plain, black coffee. Over the weekends, or after work with a book in hand, I love to swing by Cafe Audry. Located on the North-West corner of Las Palmas (just a couple blocks east of Highland) and Hollywood Blvd, it is a gem.

This hipster-esq little coffee shop is a great place to hang out and unwind. They have standard cafe fare - coffees, teas, fancy drinks, soups, salads, sandwiches, and, of course, baked goods!

So, what distinguishes this place from the millions of Starbucks to choose from? Atmosphere. They have a really friendly staff, the set up is cozy (must be feng shui somehow, although I am not a feng shui expert, so I can't tell you how), and they have live music there! Oh the benefits of being right across the street from the Musician's Institute.

Even when in a rush, I always want to stop, sip, and curl up with a book in the corner table. How can a place be so comfortable when they lack huge plush chairs? Maybe it's in the coffee...

1 comment:

¡Yo Soy Liz! said...

I worked on a show for a while that was right down the street from Caffe Etc on Selma between sunset and hollywood--have you ever been there? They have really good food for a coffe place and excellent coffee of course too. One of the best egg sandwiches in town (I used to get it all the time in my pre-vegan days). Anywho, its another cafe in the hollywood vicinity you may want to check out!