Monday, June 23, 2008

Saddle Ranch on Sunset

So, I recognize that I named this blog "brunch and such," but have yet to give you a blog about brunching! Now, brunching is something I take very seriously. Okay, that was a lie. Brunching is something I enjoy tremendously! Bingo. When I meet a new person in LA, the first thing they want to know is, "what do you DO?" Oh the land of networkers! My response? "I brunch."

I believe this response often leaves people confused, and a tad annoyed at my complete disregard for their question. I am not going to mold my answer, so I appear to be a more useful person to know. Last time I checked, said inquisitor was not my co-worker, so my position does not directly matter. What I do for income does not necessarily define my passions. So, I view the question: "what do you do?" as "what do you like to do during your free time?"

I apologize for my digression. Back to my favorite thing ever: brunching. While I lived in the Boston area, I bartended on Sundays, which prevented me from brunching. Moving to Los Angeles, and working the 9-5 has enabled me to explore the brunch culture.

I give to you: Saddle Ranch. Located on the Sunset Strip (8371 Sunset Blvd), Saddle Ranch opens at 8am. Brunch happens every day from 8am - 3pm. Two words: Bottomless Mimosas...and Bloody Marys (sorry, five words).

Saddle Ranch has taken some responsibility, and has made the bottomless drinks available only with an entree. Typical brunch entrees are $10-$15, and are HUMONGOUS. An accompanying bottomless drink is $10 as well. With a multitude of different takes on the mimosa and bloody mary, Saddle Ranch offers a drink that will suit almost any palate. My one complaint: the mimosas have a LOT of pulp!

But, what should you do when you are full of delicious omelets, pancakes and mimosas at noon on a Sunday? Ride the mechanical bull, obviously! (note: do not, under any circumstances, think it is a good idea to ride the bull with a skirt on).

Saddle Ranch boasts a friendly staff, musicians coming table to table performing song requests, plenty of televisions for the avid sports fans, and of course, the bull.

Located right on the Sunset Strip, it becomes a hot spot at night, drawing both locals and tourists. Drinks are on the pricey side, but comparatively cheap for the rest of the strip. Don't get the drink smokin'. It looks cool, but really, it is just a pain in the butt for the bartenders to crack open the dry ice, and a few extra bucks out of your wallet.

I have always had a fun time there, whether on a lazy Sunday afternoon, or after 10pm any night of the week. Occasionally you will drop too much money, and occasionally you run the risk of seeing one too many bachelorette parties, but you will never feel bored there!

No comments: